The Board of Directors of the Friends of Highland Recreation Area (FOHRA) would like to welcome its Members and the public to the 2015 FOHRA Annual Meeting and Social. Our yearly event showcases FOHRA’s volunteer activity at Edsel and Eleanor Ford’s former Haven Hill estate within the Highland State Recreation Area.
The 1st ever classic young person’s road trip? 100 years ago, in 1915, then 21 year old Edsel Ford and several of his young friends made a little-known drive from Detroit to the World’s Fair in San Francisco. A special program of Autoline Detroit “The Last Drive” will be shown that tells portions of this great Edsel Ford story. Some highlights of FORHA’s 22014 year at Haven Hill will also be shown. Other informative and enjoyable Haven Hill displays will also be presented during the evening.
• 6:30 – 7:00 pm: Sign-In and Social
Guestbook Sign-In. Enjoy visiting with FOHRA members and seeing some informative Haven Hill exhibits. Appetizers, desserts, and light beverages will be served.
• 7:00 – 7:15 pm: FOHRA Annual Business Meeting
2015 Good Evening & Welcome, Required Votes - FOHRA President; - Dick Russell
• 7:15 – 7:45 pm AutoLine Detroit “The Last Drive” Episode #1929: “100 years ago, 21-year old Edsel Ford was preparing to join his father running Ford Motor Company. Just before he took the reins, Edsel & six buddies drove 1915 Model T’s cross-country on, what Bruce Springsteen would later call, “a last chance power drive.” Mark Gessler of the Historical Vehicle Association re-enacted the drive this year and joins John McElroy and Mark Phelan of the Detroit Free Press to talk about “both” journeys.” – Autoline Detroit website.
• 7:45 – 8:00 pm: Special Presentation
• 8:00 – 8:15 pm: 2015 Video and Photographic Presentation – Jay Fitzgerald
Still and aerial quadcopter footage of Haven Hill and the Highland State Recreation Area. (Okay, okay, it was filmed with a “drone”!). Live narration by FOHRA Member Jay Fitzgerald
• 8:15 – 8:30 pm: Overview of Future Programs – Dick Russell
FOHRA Focus for late fall 2015 and 2016 future.
• 8:30 pm: Adjournment
• 8:30 - 8:45 pm: Light Refreshments and Desserts Among “Friends”
FOHRA is committed to supporting the Highland State Recreation Area by assisting and promoting interpretive, scientific, historical, and educational visitor services.